Friday, November 26, 2010

Larissa & Pastries

Today we welcomed our nanny/housekeeper/cook/translator Larissa into our lives.  She will come every weekday and help me make sense of this new world.  Today she spent an hour with Giovanni dumping Legos and reading books while Paolo and I began the difficult process of opening a bank account. Later we all bundled up to walk around the neighborhood, hitting the pastry shop (a bit too close to our home for comfort!), the gym (a bit too far!) and the giant grocery store.  Once home Larissa whipped up a delicious meal for us while Gio napped.  I am a day late but I still would like to give thanks for finding this glorious woman.  I think she is going to make a big difference in our lives.
And to add to my list of challenges about our new world (so far: language and crossing the street), another tough one is that it gets dark here at 4 and then bitterly cold.  In such an empty apartment the stretch of time until bedtime is tough.  Today we did a lot of puzzles, and I let Gio stay in the bath until he resembled one of those raisins you discover in the folds of the carseat.  I am sure I am going to succumb to the lure of showing him DVDs soon- just have not yet since we do not have a DVD player. Once our things arrive there will be more options (train table, games, etc), but still, I do miss the wide variety of activities available in the US.  Even a trip to Whole Foods was sometimes all we needed to break up a long afternoon.
I hope many of you found some fantastic deals on Black Friday.  I only indulged in a pair of flip flops as the locker room floor at the gym left a lot to be desired.  Ciao!  Clara
Showing Larissa some favorite books.

Mmmmm.  This place is a bit too close to our house! Trouble for the Belli bellies.

A very cool construction site for Gio- building the new stadium for the European Cup 2012.

Playground in the dark...

Heading up the "big boy" stairs.



No comments:

Post a Comment