Friday, May 17, 2013

Reunions, Blue Ice Cream & Final Days in DC...

Last weekend we headed up to my boarding school reunion in Groton, MA.  (I attended Groton School from ages 14 to 18.) It was my first ever reunion and now I wish I had been brave enough to attend all of the earlier ones.  I loved seeing so many of my former classmates and teachers, and I think Paolo was pleasantly surprised by his visit.  He arrived thinking the idea of boarding school was cruel (remember Italians usually stay at home until they are in their 20s!) and came away after the weekend thinking it would be a great place to send Gio (I did "neglect" to tell him what the tuition is these days!).

Once back in DC we said goodbye to Paolo who returned to Kyiv to reunite with Enzo and with the stack of work awaiting him in his office.  Gio and I have enjoyed a relaxed week visiting friends, playing baseball, frequenting our favorite restaurants (Surfside & 5 Guys) and spending as much time as we can with my beloved great aunt and uncle, Joan & Ev Shorey.  Uncle Ev has not been feeling well lately so we are trying our best to cheer him up.

We head back to Kyiv late Sunday night (the oh-so-fun 10PM flight out of DC to Munich and then a Monday flight to Kyiv).  Not sure Gio will make it back to school on Tuesday so his attendance record will surely earn us another stern letter from his principal.  We will be in Kyiv for less than 4 weeks before we begin the drive to Italy for the summer!

First thing to do on our drive from Logan Airport to Groton?  Stop at Friendly's, of course, for cotton candy ice cream topped with Reese's Pieces.  Even my rock-solid sweet tooth was rather disgusted with this choice.  
Arrival at Groton.  Gio was immediately on the look-out for other kids.  
When we drove onto the campus Paolo asked first thing if I would show him where to find the chapel.  I told him it would be hard to miss. 
A rare photo of me- it may be the only one you ever see of me pregnant! 
I somehow managed to take NO other pictures of the reunion (the weather was also quite horrible the next two days).  I will not bore you with all of the details but I will say I loved being there and it was a lot of fun to see all of my grown-up classmates acting like teenagers again.  As the sole pregnant lady I offered a useful role as a designated driver!

Post reunion.  Even Gio had a "hangover" to sleep off.  A certain 4-year-old got to spend two nights swimming in the hotel pool after 10PM with his papa! 
We spent Paolo's final evening in town with the Shorey clan.  My wonderful cousin Rachel knitted this sweater for our August arrival.  She recycled the yarn from an old sweater and hand-dyed the wool.  Wow.  
Gio in Uncle Ev's hat.  Yep. His head circumference has always been off the charts!
CUPCAKES!  Gio has done a full survey of all of the cupcakes in Georgetown: Sprinkles, Baked & Wired  and Georgetown Cupcake.  He agrees with me that B&W's are the best!
We have done a tour of all of his favorite parks around town: Rose, Montrose,  Guy Mason and Turtle.  Hard to pick the best but our morning spent here at Turtle with his buddy Caden was certainly a good one! 
Today the weather finally warmed up enough to hop into the Shorey's pool.
5 hours later Gio emerged looking a bit like a raisin.   
We will be back again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment