Sunday, December 5, 2010

Birthday weekend

Sorry about not writing for a few days- our internet has been spotty and, well, I've been a bit lazy.  This weekend marked the end of my 2nd week in Kiev.  And also my birthday.  I tried to ignore that and instead to concentrate on the much more exciting occasion of Gio's 2nd which happens tomorrow!  Since he has no friends here yet, and since we have not yet received our shipping container that has all of his gifts in it, we are actually going to wait and really celebrate once we can do so properly.  Do however look for the requisite "toddler with his face smooshed into the middle of a gooey cake" shot tomorrow.  We must mark the official day in some way or we will feel too guilty and worry that it will scar him for life.  And since every day I find a new pastry shop within a 10 minute walk of here, I am going to be hard-pressed to make a choice.  In fact, for my own big day I ended up picking out 3 cakes.  They were small ones at least, but still....

I hope all of you are enjoying snow, shopping, football watching or whatever else makes a weekend in December fun for you.  Love, Clara

Some images from our weekend:

When it is 10 degrees out..... I finally convinced him to wear ONE mitten- and only this shark one was accepted.

A big challenge to walking with a stroller in Kiev- cars are parked all over the sidewalks!

My shark has his eyes on a few chickens who hang out in our park.

My birthday was a rather bleak, dreary day- this was as bright as the day ever got.  I better get used to this.

At yet another pasty shop celebrating Mommy's birthday- here Gio is just about to bite off this reindeer's head.

A rather depressing shot of abandoned, derelict buildings. We walked all over Kiev today and this was the worst scene I saw- just wanted to share it with you!

Another day...another pony ride.

The THREE cakes I picked out for my birthday.  No will power or no decision-making power? You decide.

I attempted to cook chili for dinner without a proper pot....or any of the proper ingredients.  It was not half-bad.

We discovered this amazing bakery cafe nearby that has an entire section just for children to romp about it in while the adults relax.  This woman is there to babysit and entertain.  Gio was in heaven. We will definitely make this a regular stop.

The window seat-slide combo is brilliant.  The boys spent quite a while piling pillows all around making forts and soft landing spots. 

Gio encountered his first Barbie today.

I think it might be love.

He carried her around for quite a long time. Perhaps the truck obsession will be replaced?

No comments:

Post a Comment