Friday, December 17, 2010

No More Complaints about DC Traffic, Please.

Today it struck me just how horrible the traffic is here in Kiev.  I had thought coming here that the weather and the language barrier would be my biggest challenges.  After the chaos of the Delhi (think no rule-following, crazed motorcycles, rickshaws, beggars and cows all together on sub-par roads), I thought nothing could phase me.  However, these last few days have made me think again.  The roads here are nearly in constant gridlock. We are lucky to live right in the center of town, so I can really walk many places, including the grocery store and to at least 5 bakeries.  What else do I need?  Also, we are within minutes of a great playground and a metro stop.  However, when I have had to take a taxi this week, the ride has been endless and spent mostly in stopped traffic.  Two nights ago we took Gio to a Christmas party at Paolo's office.  While we spent over an hour at the party, I spent two hours in taxis traveling back and forth.  And a simple trip to the pediatrician today involved 2.5 hours in a taxi.  I must master the metro and rethink my choices of doctors, etc.  First priority will be location from now on!  How I miss our driver Johnson in Delhi- he thought nothing of driving the wrong way on roads just to get me somewhere quickly.  Not sure I have the backbone for such daring maneuvers, even with diplomatic plates!
Here are a few shots of the last few days, along with an all-access pass to our palatial bathroom in the final video clip....
Hope all of you in DC are enjoying your snow day.  Not to one-up-you, but it has been snowing heavily here since lunchtime. 

Children's Christmas Party at Paolo's office- Gio was frightened of the clown and stayed on the sidelines for quite a while...

Once the clown changed into Santa, Gio got braver.... 

And once Santa brought out a bag of presents, Gio was first in line!

Here he is carefully making his selections.

Every time we return to our apartment building, Gio insists on opening everyone's mailbox.  Since mail never seems to be delivered here, I do not see it as too much of a crime.

What to do when a taxi cab ride back from the doctor takes over 90 minutes?

The giant soccer stadium being built right in the middle of the city.  Imagine the traffic once it is finished?  The street scene in the foreground is gridlock...at 3pm.

A terrific toy store just 3 blocks from our house.  So tempting.... Paolo wishes I would be banned from the place.

The most dangerous job in Kiev.  This man is trying to direct traffic and is completely ignored by all.



And the promised video of our bathroom....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOUDSvbSE3k

No comments:

Post a Comment