Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On Our Own....

Gio and I have been on our own this week as Paolo is in Maldova.  We have been keeping busy going to toddler playgroups, swimming and riding the Metro.  With Gio's current obsession with "choo choo trains," I suppose it is understandable that he would also love riding around underground.  The Metro here is truly impressive: dirt cheap, efficient and easy to navigate, even for someone like me.  The stations are very deep (one on the red line is supposedly the deepest in the world) and quite spacious.  Apparently they were built as nuclear bomb shelters- perhaps smart at the time they were constructed with "big bad Russia" so nearby.  Now the endless escalator rides are at least a fun chance to people watch, and the spaciousness helps me with my claustrophobic tendencies.  I do find it funny to think about how so many things here would NEVER pass the "safety test" in the US.  For instance, these escalators go at least twice as fast as any I have ever ridden at home.  Sort of fun, actually, though in the beginning I was quite scared of getting on and off, especially when I was holding Gio. 
Here are some photos I was able to take of the Metro, even though it is technically illegal to photograph there.  It seems to be illegal to take pictures everywhere here.  I try my best to share my new world with you, my few devoted readers, but it is not always easy to sneak in a shot or two. 

Going down... it seems that half of Kiev's commercial business is down here....and that I spend most of my time climbing up and down stairs. At least it's a cheaper workout than joining the $6000/year gyms!

You can buy virtually anything you want down here: flowers, coffee, pastries, underwear, catcti (yes, there is a cactus vendor right at our very own Metro stop), dog food, beer, beer, beer....

The entrance to the Metro station.  Watch out for these doors- they are heavy and swing back and forth on their own whims.

And then through the turnstiles.  The plastic tokens cost about 25 cents and allow you to ride as far as you want, including transferring to other lines.

And then the rapid descent.  Very orderly.  If I am not distracted watching the people riding the other way then I pass the time reading.  The ride can be that long!

The very wide passageways.  Quite elegant and sparkling clean.


As for our apartment, we are nearly done moving in.  We still have some pictures to hang and the guest room/office still needs work, but we finally do feel like we have a true home.  We had two terrific carpenters here building bookshelves and closets, and I was actually able to talk them into building Gio's slide, which is now his favorite spot in the house.  Here are some shots of the THREE boys at work...









And finally, a few shots from our trip to the pool this afternoon....
Looks a bit tight, no?  This cap is meant for 8-10 year olds, but it still seemed small.  Gio did not complain and actually insisted on wearing it for the entire hour.

Practicing for his giant leaps into the pool.

There are 55 steps up to our apartment.  Tonight I insisted that Gio walk them all (I am still recovering from throwing my back out two weeks ago).  Here he is with only 6 to go... taking a thumb break.  




No comments:

Post a Comment