Sunday, February 20, 2011

Our first houseguests!


This was an exciting weekend, but now I am sitting here on the couch with Zeus awaiting the end of Gio's nap feeling a bit sad.  For the last 3 days our cozy little apartment has been filled with laughter and good friends.  We had three visitors from Italy: Paolo's very good friends Angelo & Sandro and Sandro's son Andrea.  It was a tight squeeze, especially since we also had to include Zeus in the bed count! We showed them all around Kiev, and they spent two very late nights out dining and dancing.  Right now Paolo is driving them to the airport, and I am waiting to take dear Zeus home as his family has returned from vacation.  The apartment is going to seem so empty tonight.  I suppose I should get started on packing (we leave at 3:30 AM Friday!!), but I don't expect too much of myself this evening... 

Snack time usually happens at the top of the slide.  Gio likes to spend a few minutes with the bulb we planted last month.  It is finally sprouting!
Yesterday we all went to a giant indoor amusement park near our home. The guys played foosball (there is also a movie theater, bowling alley, hundreds of video games, bars and restaurants) while I hung out with Gio at the kid area.  Here he is on his way up to the top of this 3 story play structure. No body does indoor playgrounds like the Ukrainians!

At the end of our playtime. No, Gio is actually NOT sucking his thumb for once... it is an ice cream cone!

Brunch at Cafe Wolynsky... Gio is at the play area while we enjoy some adult conversation.  From left: Ina (our landlord's daughter), Andrea, Sandro, Gennady (world's greatest landlord!), Angelo & Paolo. Having not showered in 2 days, I refused to be in the photo myself.

It is a cold cold time of year here in Kiev.  Not expected to be about 10 degrees all week. I am looking forward to the "warmth" of DC.  Seeing that it is expected to be 44 on the day we arrive, I am going to break out my flip-flops.  Anything above freezing sounds heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment