Monday, April 18, 2011

Th Former Botanical Gardens

Kiev is finally becoming quite beautiful. Flowers are just starting to bloom after a long cold early spring. I saw a big batch of forsythia in bloom today while I was running in the abandoned botanical gardens near our apartment. There is now a fancier groomed garden just outside of town so this place is left to grow more naturally and is filled with dog walkers and happy dogs off leash. I cannot wait to bring our puppy here when we get him next month.
Easter in Kiev is a much more a spring awakening and religion-focused holiday than in the US. I only see a few chocolate rabbits but a lot of flowers and sprigs that people buy outside of churches. The city is coming alive at last. People are strolling, visiting on park benches, drinking beer at outdoor tables and generally emerging from a long winter's hibernation.  Here are a few shots from a stroll I took this morning....

Pensioners at Shevchenko Park spend hours at chess
The entrance to Shevchenko Park from the University. 

Here is why I find it so confusing to find places here- this sign makes absolutely no sense to me.

The Ukrainians are great about bold color choices!

At the "Old" Botanical Gardens...

These stairs are a challenge on a run!

Is that you, Lassie?

Look!  The World Bank is making a difference in Ukraine! 

One of my struggles here is that everyone dresses their children as if it is 10 below, even on a day like today when it was near 70.  Notice these babies in full snow suits, gloves and hat.  I got quite a few scowls when I took Gio out only in a fleece and jeans this afternoon (his nanny had him in his snow pants and heaviest winter coat this morning). Ah, the crazy American.
Forsythia! Spring is finally here.
Our puppy's future playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment