Monday, October 17, 2011

Barbies, Buzzcuts & Cacti: Day in the Life of Gio...

I have not been writing too much as I find blogs much more interesting when pictures are involved and without a camera myself, I am not able to document our days very well.  However, today I pulled out my phone and tried to capture a few images.
This morning began with a trip to the health clinic for our flu shots.  Gio was very happy to be back in the toy-filled room and was so busy with a Barbie doll  that he barely noticed the puncture in his arm.  This was his first encounter with a Barbie and he tackled her in true Gio-fashion.  First- strip her down.  Second- remove one leg.  Third- point out her "elbows" to the doctor, nurses and me.  (Yes, for those of you well-versed on Gio, he is still confused about this part of the female body.)
Later this afternoon we took the metro four stops down our line to a hair salon that has a good reputation for doing children's hair.  The following photos document the rest of our afternoon....

I pantomined "buzz cut" the best I could.  She got it just right.

Post hair-cut we strolled back to the metro station with a stop at a typical public playground.  Notice the Soviet-era apartment blocks in the background.  For me these make much of Kiev a depressing-looking place.

Yes, it is cold here.  Snow is expected tomorrow!
Another beautiful sight- overflowing dumpsters in the middle of the playground.  How I long for DC's Turtle Park.

Gio loves waiting for the "wind" that signals the arrival of the subway.  Though he has the appearance of most Ukrainians in this shot, that is actually just a lollipop!
A favorite stop in our own metro station- the cactus man.  Gio loves to get poked (as if the flu shot today was not enough!).  Today I treated him and let him bring one home.  He wanted to sleep with it, a request I gently turned down.

Loot from the Metro station- cactus and raspberries!

Have a great week, everyone! Gio and I are heading to DC next Monday for a 3 week stay.  We are excited for a US Halloween.  Gio's costume choice?  A one-eyed blue monster.  Get your candy ready, Georgetown!

3 comments:

  1. I love all these photos! You must give me a shout when you are in town. I would love to get together for a walk in G-Town. Skyler is still kickin', heart tumor and all, and she too would love a walk with sticky Gio fingers to lick. Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Excellent photos all around.
    I am particularly fond of the buzz cut one. Caden would never stand for it! They are ying and yang but man do they love each other! Can't wait to see ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you are on the plane. BUt we are really really so excited about your arrival. I want to hear GIO"s Russian..amazing..JOan and EV ps Ev is Swimming this morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete