Monday, February 27, 2012

Travelling with Gio

Yesterday Gio completed his 94th airplane ride.  With a trip to the US in three weeks (which involves 4 flights there and back), that means he will soon be closing in on 100 flights.  Quite a lot for a boy just over 3 years old.  In all honesty, I would not wish this sort of travel schedule on any child, let alone parent, but I will say his life has certainly been an adventure.  Not that he will remember much of it so far!
As for traveling with a 3-year-old?  It has certainly gotten easier than our days of screaming, walking the aisles and trying to change a 30-pounder on those tiny changing tables over the airplane toilet.  Ugh.  Now he handles the bus transfers, bumpy rides, 10 hour flights, panicked runs through the labyrinth that is the Frankfurt Airport and long layovers with ease.  He even now insists on going to the bathroom "myself!" while I stand outside and listen to him sing in there.  The only tricky time is security when he either refuses to remove his coat or melts down when he has to put "Big Tom" through the machine.  Well, there has to be at least one breakdown per trip, right?
For those of you looking for tips on how to travel with a toddler/preschooler....
WHAT TO BRING ON PLANE!

Big Tom.  Of course.

For passing time in the terminals.  Ping pong ball, small soft dog toy ball, balloons.  Gets us through long lines and endless waits.  Sometimes we even get fellow passengers to play too.

Snacks.  Do NOT assume the airline's "child" meal will appeal...at all. 

Earphones for Ipad.  

Toilet seat cover.  I am not at all into hyper-sanitized (I credit Gio's time in India for his germ-resistance), but I do draw the line at airplane toilet seats after 9 hours of constant use.

Change of clothes for Gio AND me. 
Bag of "presents".  These are small silly things I pick up in grocery stores, etc.  If I have time I wrap them up and give them out hourly or when desperate.  

Sticker books (a MUST for take off and landing when no electronics are allowed!) and favorite stories. This last flight I ended up reading "The Sleep Book" 5 times.  No sleeping happened.

For the wait between flights.

Fashion is a must.  Here we are in Bologna airport after a 3 am wakeup and two hour drive.  Hence the pjs.  Notice there is no picture of me.  Ha!

An example of airplane food being rejected.  Papa usually gets to have two doses of it.  Luckily I had some yogurt along....

Gazing at nearly naked ladies in the Kiev Post.  Not recommended except in dire emergencies.

And when does Gio actually sleep?  Not usually until the car ride home.  Must work on this aspect of flying.  


2 comments:

  1. You're a rock-star traveling goddess! If only the iPad had existed 10 years ago. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned much of this from you, my dear friend. I should have credited you with those brilliant toilet seat covers! Now go back to cuddling that adorable new puppy. Someday you will have to explain how you did all of these trips B.i.P. (Before i Pad).

      Delete