Saturday, July 7, 2012

First weeks in Italy

We have been in Italy now for almost 2 weeks.  Paolo returned to Kyiv on Monday, the same day that Gio began a 4-week summer session at the local preschool.  Gio seems to enjoy the class.  He is, as always, not forthcoming about what happens at school, but he strolls merrily in each morning and a happy boy greets me at pickup 4 hours later, so I am not worried.  Gio seems to have won the bib battle at lunch as he comes home each day covered in pasta sauce.  The teachers are always apologetic and I am not yet fluent enough to explain that a dirty shirt is, to me, a sign of a busy, happy boy.  I am enjoying my free mornings.  I vowed I would swim laps while Gio was at school but this week it never happened.  There is always Monday....
 Enzo has quickly adapted to country life- he sleeps outside most nights, by his choice, and runs with me most mornings on the fields and trails behind our house.  He is, surprisingly, an excellent running partner.  He is adapting to life without air conditioning (the daily temps have been between 80-93 since we have been here) and sleeps the heat of the day away in the coolest spot in the house- our guest bedroom.  Hopefully Mom and Dad will not mind a roommate when they arrive later this month!
Here are some images from our visit so far...
Gio's bug zoo. 
First day of school.  Big Tom and thumb coming along.
Brave boy.
Ciao, Mama!
Dinner.  Everything tastes so much better here!
Oops.  Papa goes back to Kyiv and things fall apart.  Monday the entire drainage system in the house failed.  Luckily our contractor was at work down the road so work began immediately.
Gio loved the action- even better than "Bob the Builder"!
Gio's vantage point. He kept asking why the man on the left was "naked"....
...and why he couldn't strip down, too.

The field next to our house.  Do you see someone in there?

This was the big excitement of the week!  And I put it together entirely on my own.  Quite a proud moment.  I wish to thank my parents for filling my childhood with Legos, Erector Sets and model trains.  
Enzo has found a new favorite hang-out. 
Our picky eater has been enjoying quite a few Italian delicacies.  Tonight's meal was a rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Spoiled puppy!
And now back to the trampoline.  We are out here until dark each night.  Come for a visit and try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment