Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sledding

I have not had a chance to take many pictures lately- it has either been snowing madly or so cold that I was not willing to take my hands out of my giant mittens for even a second.  Since Friday's tragedy in the US my thoughts have been focused on those dear children, only a few years older than Gio.  I taught in Kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms for over 10 years before we started this overseas adventure.  Those color-filled, happy rooms were always my havens, the places where I felt the most at ease and safe.  I cannot begin to imagine the horror of those few minutes for the children and their teachers.  For us, it is a relief that our son is too young to comprehend what has happened.  His school is still a place without fear.  I am struck with moments of overwhelming anger and sadness throughout the day and night. These last few days have been spent focusing on Gio and his excitement about Santa, our trip to Italy and his current obsessions with Legos, whirlpools and what he finds in his nose.  He makes me smile all the time, even lately.

Today I took Gio to a little hill near his school after pick-up.  The temperature was 9F but with no outside recess allowed this week due to the cold, I wanted him to get a bit of fresh air, so here it is, his debut of solo sledding....



He did this over 30 times.  He was hysterical with giggles.  I already promised him more time on the hill after school tomorrow, his last one before winter break!
Friday morning we start the drive to Italy.  Enzo will be coming along but Tigre will stay with Laryssa.  They will certainly miss each other.


2 comments:

  1. Every single time I think of that shooting, I have to stop and look at my kids and just hug them or make any kind of physical contact (kind of a challenge with the older ones). I am just so grateful to be able to still mother them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lots and lots of hugs and kisses here, too. Luckily for me Gio has always been a very affectionate boy, so he does not resist. Enjoying it now before he gets too cool for it all!

      Delete